Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Keeping Busy

This Friday Peace Corps announces our posts. On May 22nd I move into my new home for two years. Aside from reading and playing harmonica, how will I keep myself busy?

Peace Corps expects Community Economic Development (CED) volunteers like me to:
(1) transfer skills and knowledge in business management,
(2) strengthen ICT (Information and Communication Technology) knowledge and resources,
(3) teach English for income generation and employability, and
(4) promote social and environmental responsibility.



What does this mean in practice?

-We work with FINCA to establish community microfinance banks or help improve existing banks (like SACRIN)

-We work with the Ministry of Science and Technology (and other organizations) to establish computer labs and teach classes

-We teach English classes, either in schools or informally

-We volunteer with Junior Achievement to teach students about entrepreneurship

-We coach local entrepreneurs and organizations using tools like SWOT analysis

And, as part of Peace Corps' general goals:

-We share American culture with Costa Ricans and teach Americans back home about Costa Rica

-We help the community access outside knowledge and resources

-We train community members to be self-sufficient leaders

Peace Corps also expects us to train Costa Ricans in waffle baking, curling, and competitive rock-paper-scissors.

3 comments:

  1. Will you teach me curling? It just looks so awesome, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an RPCV from Burkina Faso traveling through San Jose, Costa Rica...I was wondering if there's a PC hostel in San Jose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you're working with FINCA. They were my first microcredit internship. Lots of great peeps. Crazy wide network. Also, did you get your hands on the postcard I mailed you? Just checking to see if the postal service works in Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete